Monday, August 18, 2008

Welcomes

Today went generally pretty smoothly. After waking before dawn, (I
thought those days were over), I showered by candlelight - our
bathroom light only started working about an hour ago, and made my way
downstairs. Paul and I were picked up about half an hour later by
Dimpo. We made our way to clinic with stops to pick up John, and the
girls. Rolling into clinic before eight, we were greeted by awaiting
room was already full. Almost one hundred children and caretakers,
many elderly women who must have been grandmothers or distant
relatives, were huddled together, many wrapped in coarse colorful
blankets. We were greeted with a combination of curiosity, polite
smiles, and in some cases suspicion. I imagine we all looked a little
green, and I've come to realize that some patients get a little antsy
when they detect any hint of trepidation on the part of their
providers. And there was plenty of that to go around on our side.

8:30 sharp we reported to the waiting area and assembled for morning
prayers. Today was a little different in that the new staff, the six
of us, had to be introduced. And to herald our arrival, the entire
staff had assembled to sing a morning hymn. Usually a responsibility
relegated to patients, the fact that the staff wanted to sing this
morning had the veteran PAC docs buzzing. When they broke into a four
part harmony of literally the most beautiful song I've ever heard, I
was overcome with this incredible sense of well being. I think
there's something to be said about the power of song, especially when
applied to praise in a way that comes from a sense of knowing, and
longing, and joy. I envy other religions for that sometimes. Their
voices literally made the entire building resonate. I'm at a loss to
describe it other than to say it made me feel like I was stepping
inside from the icy rain, and being wrapped up in something heavy,
red, and incredibly warm.

Anyway, that was the highlight of my day, most of the rest of the day
was spent getting logistics out of the way and trying to salvage a
failed attempt at curried eggplant. Who knew you had to broil it in
the oven before you fry it up?

No comments: